Monday, December 6, 2010

Correlation ID Error in SharePoint 2010 for Taxonomy Picker Control

This error message is not new and I think most SharePoint admin/user see this message before. SharePoint 2010 display such message with a very long Correlation ID, which is indeed not very useful for debugging or tracing purpose.

I got this message again in a new SharePoint 2010 environment so I try to check out the Windows Event Log for more details:
The error mentions a control template file (TaxonomyPicker.ascx), and it's something wrong when loading or compiling the control.
TaxonomyPicker.ascx has a line like this:
 <%@ Control className="TaxonomyPickerControl" Language="C#" Inherits="Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.TaxonomyPicker&#44;Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %>

Replace the '&#44;' with a ',' (all without the quotes).
Exactly! I really see the &#44; when I open the TaxonomyPicker.ascx. So I replaced the &#44; with , it and then the SharePoint site is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment